Gina K Designs:Tutorial for an EASY Iris Folding Technique

Today I’m going to show you how to make a card with a very simple iris folding technique.
Supplies:
  • one card base (4.25×5.5 inches)
  • die cut shape or exacto knife
  • bone folder
  • scoring blade or a Scor-Pal like tool
  • tape
  • tape runner
  • patterned paper
  • ruler & pencil
Step One:
Gather your supplies together and create a “window” of any shape in the front of your card. I used a Spellbinder’s Nestabilities scalloped circle die to create my window. You can also trace or draw a shape and cut it out using an exacto knife or use a large punched shape.
Step Two:
Cut your paper into 4 x 1 inch strips. Fold them in half along their length. Pass your bone folder over the folds to make them nice and crisp. I used my Scor-Pal tool to create my folds. For my shape, I needed approximately 12 folded pieces but this could vary based on the size of your shape.

You should now have enough folded stripes to cover your window. For my example, I used two different coloured pieces of patterned paper, a yellow and an orange.

Step Three:
Open up your card to the inside. Draw one straight line across the bottom of your window slightly longer than the windth of your window. Using your pencil and ruler, mark up from the drawn line a series of eavenly spaced marks or dots up BOTH sides of your window shape. You will use these marks to ensure your folded patterned paper pieces are straight and evenly spaced. I spaced mine at every 1/4 of an inch.
Step 4:
Take your tape runner and run a line of adhesive around the top half of your design. Starting at the TOP of your window, place your first folded strip with the folded edge pointing down, using your guide marks to ensure it’s level across the window. I used some tape to hold down the ends. I also trimmed some of the strips as I went. The strips may not appear even from the back side of the card but they will be even from the front.
Step Five:
Repeat the process of added strips of paper until you cover the complete window shape. Make sure to add more adhesive to the inside edge of the window as you get further down the window’s shape.
Step Six:
Cut a piece of paper to hide the tape and paper strip backing. It should be slightly smaller than the front of your card. Mine was cut at 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 inches. Adhere it over your finished back.
Step Seven:
Decorate the front of your card! I used the "You are my Sunshine" set from Gina K. Designs.
If you look closely, I used Liquid Applique to make the "waves" on my image. I also use Glossy Accents to make the glass of lemonade look glossy.
The umbrella and the glass were stamped and cut out. I added some layers of cardstock underneath to make them pop up but not too much as to make the card too thick.
Now send it to someone special!
Supplies:


Patterned Papers: October Afternoon, Sassafrass Lass. Cardstock: Prism. Stamps: “You Are My Sunshine” set by Gina K. Designs. Ink: Ranger, Copic Markers. Other: Craf-T chalk, Crystal Stickles, Liquid Applique and Ranger’s Glossy Accents. Tool: Spellbinder’s Nestabilies, scalloped circle.
I hope you enjoyed this really simple tutorial! Enjoy!
Photobucket

No comments:

 
09 10